One of the most important things you should do before your interview is to familiarize yourself with your Care Assistant CV.
The fact that you have been invited to an interview is an indication that your CV caught someone’s attention. That is the purpose of a CV – to get you an interview. Now it is up to you!
So before your interview date, get out your CV and thoroughly read the job description. Also make sure you carefully read and analyse the advert in order to highlight the skills that may be required.
The skills and abilities section of your CV should match those in the job description. These skills and attributes are often the basis for your answers to most Care Assistant interview questions.
How To Pass A Care Assistant Interview
At a Care Assistant interview you will probably be asked 3 types of questions.
- Experience based
Sample General Care Assistant Interview Questions
In any interview, there will be some general or common interview questions that you should expect to be asked. Your Care Assistant interview is no different.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why have you chosen to work for (name of organization) as a Care Assistant?
- What are your strengths / weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
These are just a sample of some of the general interview questions you may be asked. Thankfully, the most popular interview questions are not designed to trip you up, or catch you out. In fact they are usually used to ease you into your interview, so the best policy is to answer them honestly.
Sample Experience Based Care Assistant Interview Questions
Experience-based interviews aim to test a variety of industry based skills and you’ll need to answer in the context of actual events.
These questions are usually start with ‘Tell us about …’, ‘Give an example of…’ or ‘Describe how you…’
- What do you understand by the term ‘safeguarding’?
- Tell me about a time when you cared for someone, either a loved one or in a professional capacity?
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated a commitment to the quality of care?
- Give me an example of a challenge you faced in the workplace and tell me how you overcame it.
- Describe a stressful situation at work and how you handled it
- As a Care Assistant, you will need to use effective communication skills. Tell me about a time when you adapted your style of communication to get your message across?
Sample Behavioral Care Assistant Interview Questions
The competency based interview is a traditional and widely used selection method. If applied effectively, the behavioral competency style interview is one of the most successful predictive interview styles.
The best way to answer a behavioral interview question is in the form of a brief story. Use the “STAR” technique (Situation, Task, Activity and Result) lets you show that you have the qualities and experience the job you applied for demands.
A competency-based behavioral interview allows you to give a theoretical answer. These types of questions usually start with ‘How would you..’, ‘What would you..’ or ‘When would you..’
There are some competencies that are generic to most jobs. If you prepare a few examples with these in mind, you’ll be off to a good start. Here’s an example:
Most, if not all, jobs require some sort of verbal or written communication skills. Think about how you apply this in a Care home or as a live-in carer.
Here are some sample behavioral Care Assistant interview questions.
- Explain how you would handle someone under your care who was either upset or confused?
- How would you carry out a client ‘needs assessment’?
- What would you do if you didn’t get on with someone who formed part of the care team?
How Can You Pass A Care Assistant Interview?
Whether you are an experienced Care Assistant or someone seeking their first job in Care, practicing for your interview is highly recommended.
Want to pass a care Assistant interview? Passmyinterview.com supply complete interview question and answer packs, tailored specifically for Care roles.
You will receive sample answers created by recruitment experts to will help you fully prepare your own successful answers.