The hiring process can be a trying ordeal. As the interview is normally the end of the process it is crucial to get right. Most people spend a great deal of time researching and preparing for those essential job interview questions. But how many job seekers prepare themselves with how to handle illegal job interview questions?
If you have prepared properly for your job interview, you should certainly be expecting popular interview questions such as ‘tell me about yourself’, ‘what are your strengths and weaknesses’ or ‘where do you see yourself in 5 years’. You should have practised and be confident how best to respond to such questions. However the truth is some job interviews can bring up weird questions that can really throw you. You may also be asked inappropriate or just plain illegal job interview questions that should not be asked.
Demographic data shows that:
- 80% female and 60% male respondents admit to having faced inappropriate questions during interviews.
- 55% senior level employees, 65% middle level employees and 40% of junior level employees have had to deal with inappropriate questions in their interviews.
What’s more; it is worse if you are a woman! Evidence shows that women are more likely to be asked inappropriate or illegal job interview questions than men.
How to Handle Illegal Job Interview Questions
Being positive about a job interview is vital. You are attending because you want the job right? That is the thing to keep in mind. In addition if you really want this job, you could rule yourself out of the running by your reaction to the question.
- Is this question appropriate for the role?
- Do I feel comfortable answering this question?
- Do I want to work for a company that allows questions like this at interview?
Find out some difficult questions you may be asked in a job interview.